Job announcements relevant to people interested in electronic structure calculations
Master + PhD position at CIC energiGUNE: Electoc ... (No replies)
CIC energiGUNE is seeking for a motivated student to complete a Master thesis, followed by a PhD in Materials Science in the field of energy storage.
- The student will join an experienced, international and multidisciplinary team, including both theoretical and experimental experts.
- His/her research project will be focused on the accelerated discovery of new electrode materials for Li- and Na-ion batteries, using Artificial Intelligence-aided high-throughput synthesis methods, which will be part of a wider, public-funded, innovative project aligned with the H2020 European research strategy in the field of Electrochemical Energy Storage.
- For this 3.5-year project, he/she will carry out the following tasks:
- Study of the reaction mechanisms using advanced ex-situ and in-situ experiments, as well as contrasting experimental results with density functional theory (DFT) predictions.
- Synthesis of inorganic materials. The student will be able to explore several approaches, such as solid-state, hydrothermal and/or sol-gel synthesis routes, under controlled atmospheres (inert or reductive conditions, work in glove-box, etc.) and using high-throughput synthesis modules developed at CICe. He/she will also take part in the implementation of machine learning algorithms to predict the outcome of new experiments and automatize their planning.
- Physical-chemical and structural characterization. The samples will be characterized using a large panel of techniques, including X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, chemical analyses, thermogravimetric analyses, etc.
- Electrochemical characterization. The student will learn how to prepare electrode materials (formulation, coating) and assemble electrochemical cells (Swagelok-type and/or coin cells). He/she will perform electrochemical tests, including galvanostatic cyclings, cyclic voltamperometry, etc.
- Redaction of scientific publications in high-impact journals and participation to national and international conferences.
- The candidate will preferably be involved in a Master degree (or equivalent) with a major in Materials Sciences, Inorganic Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Materials Engineering or any other scientific discipline in a related field.
- Basic knowledge in computation and programming (g. Fortran, Python, C++) will be valuable.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and ability to work independently.
- A team player who can collaborate with other scientists and other groups.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English. Spanish is not compulsory.
We offer the candidate to prepare his/her Master thesis at CIC energiGUNE during the academic year 2020-2021 in an experienced and multidisciplinary team, that will be followed by a PhD thesis including a labour contract funded by a national grant (Ayudas para contratos predoctorales para la formación de doctors del Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovacion y Universidades).
We offer a collaborative and international environment with a wide range of up-to-date facilities that will be accessible to the student, as well as a culture through which he/she will be able to share ideas, develop expertise and prepare for a scientific career in both academic and industrial sectors.
All applicants are invited to submit their applications including a cover letter a detailed curriculum vitae and their academic records, through the following link:
CIC energiGUNE is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce.
The selection process ends once the candidate is selected.
Back to Job listings...