2022 FUNDING CALL
Outline proposals call for 2022-23 Psi-k activities
Psi-k is a worldwide network of researchers working on the advancement of first-principles computational materials science. Its mission is to develop fundamental theory, algorithms, and computer codes in order to understand, predict, and design materials properties and functions. Key activities of Psi-k are the organization of conferences, workshops, tutorials and training schools as well as the dissemination of scientific thinking in society [Excerpt from the mission statement at http://psi-k.net/ ].
Psi-k typically funds schools (1-2 weeks), workshops (2-3 days), international conferences (2-5 days), and codes/methods tutorials (3 days-1 week), with a focus on electronic-structure methods, developments, and applications. Funding is of the order of 4,000/8,000/12,000 €, depending on size and duration (as a guideline, 30 €/expected participant/day); Psi-k funds around 25-35 activities for every call (see here http://psi-k.net/workshops/ for the 2021-22 activities).
While we continue to support traditional in-person activities, we also encourage a renewed focus on, attention to and ingenious development of novel models in research sharing, dissemination, teaching, and discussion – the freedom of our Charity allows us to consider less conventional proposals with funding devoted to digital or remote approaches.
We have a two-step application process to simplify and streamline applications, elicit more original proposals, improve planning, and avoid duplication of efforts. The present call for outline proposals is for events that will take place between 1 April 2022 and 31 March 2023.
Please note: events scheduled o take place in August and September 2022 will NOT be considered for funding to avoid a clash with the rescheduled Psi-k Conference that will take place in Lausanne, 22-25 August 2022.
Pre-proposals should be submitted online by Monday 19 July 2021 (midnight UK time), describing the planned event (download a draft of the form to see a preview of the questions that you will be asked here). Psi-k Working Groups (http://psi-k.net/groups ) and Trustees (http://psi-k.net/admin/ ) will either approve this pre-proposal for full submission, reject it, or suggest a merger between different activities – you are very welcome to contact the relevant Working Group leaders or members beforehand.
Feedback will be provided the week of Monday 20 September 2021. Pre-proposals that have been approved or mergers that have been successfully negotiated will then be invited to submit a full proposal by Monday 18 October 2021. These proposals will then be evaluated and approved – with full or partial funding – or declined at the meeting of the Trustees, Scientific Advisory Committee (http://psi-k.net/scientific-advisory-committee/) and Working Group leaders on Friday 26 November 2021.
The evaluation of the pre-proposals and full proposals will be based on
- the relevance to the Psi-k mission statement;
- the scientific quality of the proposal;
- the intellectual inclusivity, geographical spread and diversity of the proposed participants, including efforts to widen participation beyond established groups;
- the scientific merit, geographical spread and diversity of the organizers; and
- the appropriateness of budget
- in case of events that can interest different Working Groups please name the primary Working Group and then any related groups
- if the event does not relate to any current Working Group, applicants should contact in advance Psi-k at [email protected] .
Financial Support from the Psi-k Charity
If the funding for your event is provided by the Psi-k Charity you will receive 80% of your allocated financial support before the workshop takes place and the remaining 20% after the event.
The invoice for the initial 80% of your funding can be sent at any time before the start of your event. In order to claim the 80% payment you will need to send an invoice to:
Electronic copies of invoices are acceptable and can be emailed to Damian Jones.
After the workshop has taken place you will need to submit the following information:
- A report for the Psi-k front page magazine (Instructions for posting to the front page magazine can be found here). This should include a short report, the programme, the abstracts of the presented papers, and the list of participants. You may optionally include photographs of the event. An example of what is required can be seen here.
- A completed finance report (templates for Excel, Word, and PDF) which should be emailed to Damian Jones.
Only upon completion of these reports will the remaining 20% of the funds be released. Once your reports have been approved you will then need to send another invoice to the address above, or by email to Damian Jones.
Questions about workshop funding from the Psi-k Charity should be addressed to Damian Jones.
Psi-k Logo for Advertising
Please feel free to download a copy of the Psi-k logo to include on workshop advertising, conference material or web sites.
[Logo designed by Michiel van Setten, UC Louvain]